Friday, August 15, 2008
Day 7 2AM Update: Perfection Headlines Morning Finals at Cube, Indoor Stadium
In this morning's finals, sports fans were reminded that the quest for perfection often produces perfect results. Michael Phelps continued his quest as he won the men's 200 meter Individual Medley, breaking his sixth world record of these games. He is now one gold medal win away from tying Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals at a single Olympic Games.
And Nastia Liukin produced as close to perfect routines throughout the entire competition of the women's individual all-around. She led after three rotations, taking the lead following her 16.125 performance on the balance beam. She came back from tenth to second after her dominating performance on the uneven bars. And she clinched the gold medal with a floor exercise routine that put her into an exclusive list of Olympic champions.
Shawn Johnson, the reigning world champion, took home silver in a first 1-2 finish for the United States in this event. The win also broke the gold medal winning streak that the Chinese had at the gymnastics finals that have taken place, though Yang Yilin earned a bronze medal from today's competition.
Ryan Lochte won his first individual gold medal after defeating Aaron Peirsol in the final of the men's 200 meter backstroke, and then earned bronze in the 200 meter Individual Medley that was won by Phelps. And Rebecca Soni pulled off the biggest upset thus far in Olympic swimming here in Beijing after she defeated Australia's Leisel Jones in the final of the women's 200 meter breaststroke.
RELIVE ALL THE ACTION AND MOMENTS FROM OUR LIVE BLOG:
LATEST NEWS FROM BEIJING:
- Matthew Emmons earned the United States a silver medal in the men's 50m rifle prone shooting
- USA and Cuba are tied 2-2 in a pivotal preliminary baseball game that could decide the top of the pool standings
- Semifinals took place in badminton
- preliminary heats start track and field competition at the Bird's Nest
Bolt, Powell, Gay coast through 100 heat 1:43 am EDT (AP)
Xie, Zhang advance to badminton final 1:35 am EDT (AP)
Another gold for Ukraine, this time in shooting 12:17 am EDT (AP)
Germany's Steffen wins Olympic 100 free 11:31 pm EDT (AP)
ON TELEVISION, NOW AND COMING UP:
- Softball between the United States and Japan NOW on CNBC
- Beach Volleyball and interviews with medal winners Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson on NBC Late Night
- Beach volleyball, whitewater canoeing and rowing semifinals on USA Network
EVENTS COMING UP:
- Women's Basketball: Russia vs. Brazil, 2:20AM
- Whitewater Canoe/Kayak Finals, 2:50AM
- Weightlifting, Women's 75kg Final, 3:19AM
- Track Cycling, Men's Team Sprint, 4:19AM